Our vocab word for The Prince and the Pauper Chapter 26 focuses on a commonly-used verb. The vocab word is…
Keep reading or watch the video below see how the word ‘proceeded’ is used in The Prince and the Pauper.
(v.) went in an orderly, regulated way
often after a pause or interruption
- Language of Origin: Latin
- procedere = “pro” (forward) + “cedere” (to go)
- Straightforward sentence: After a brief stop at the station, the train proceeded on its way.
- Sentence from the chapter: “…she dropped her eyes to the floor; but her voice betrayed no emotion when she proceeded…” (p. 160)
- Other forms: proceeding (adj., n.), proceeder (n.)
Follow us on social media!